[hesign] 2006

본문

fa468550e1486a9416bce865ceef8402_1612142108_52.jpg

Kum-jun Park

601BISANG 481-11 Seogyo-ding, Mapo-gu, Seoul, 121-842, Republic of Korea

Tel +82-2-332-2601 Fax +82-2-332-2602

kj@601bisang.com

www.601bisang.com

Kum-jun Park (1962-) is President/Creative Director of 601BISANG(founded in 1998), Adjunct Professor of Hong-ik University, and Vice President of

Publication Department of VIDAK. He pursued both his undergraduate studies in communication arts at Hong-ik University. Upon graduation, he worked as a

graphic designer at Ssangyong Business Group PR&ADS office from 1988 to 1992 and as Art Director at Cheil Communications, Inc. from 1993 to 1997,

respectively. He has received literally hundreds of design awards, including Gold Medal of New york Art Directors Club(2002), Gold Prize of Korea

International Poster Biennale(2004), Silver Pencil of One Show(2005), Lahti, Toyama, Brno, Warsaw International Poster

Biennale, Newyork Festivals, Zraf, Chaumont. Introduced in Graphis Poster Annual 2005-1997(13work). His work has been exhibited at Typography of

Korean Alphabet-Hangul(DDD Gallery, Osaka, GGG Gallery, Tokyo) in 2001. In addition, he designed and published a number of artbooks, including We are

family(1999), Calendars are culture(2000), 2note time.space(2001), 601SPACE PROJECT(2003), and VIDAK 2003(2003), for which he served as a

Board member of VIDAK Annual Book, a chronological narrative of Korean graphic history.

Interview with Kum-jun Park

1. Why did you choose graphic design as your profession?

Absorbing observation, utterance and message to the world Graphic design is my bridge, my connection to the world.

2. How is graphic design present in your life?

It always keeps myself awake, experimentation, communication, identity and humanity Design is my energy.

3. Where does your design inspiration come from?

It is very complicatedhard to characterize just one word. It could be history, it could be traces of other people and it could be many experimentations. Itry to see many familiar things around us with different point of views. I often receive a shock by diverse cultures. I am always thinking about why? I value

the viewpoint that can see the whole picture above anything else.

Always…””every lifeis the core of my design. I try to find a new approach to each project with different color.

4. How many years of graphic training have you received? Do you think the academic education about graphic design is important for designer?

Four years in design school, two more years in graduate school and every training during the past 18 years in design industry. (the problem solving process,

maintain the equilibrium, dealing with client)

Yes, I think it is important. Further, design education should extend consciousness of design, experience and imaginative power based on people, society and

culture.

5. Does your own cultural background account for the main influence in your design?

I believe that a living design comes into the world from our real life based on politics, society and culture. Some of my works(Unification and Oullim) are

related

the reality of divided nation. Moreover, I think, it is social responsibility of all designs.

6. Does literature, theater, music or any other subject contribute to your work?

Designer is a leading creator of culture. Different kinds of culture including literature, theater and music have been a source of inspiration for my work all the

time.

7. Who would you name as the greatest master of graphic design?

Humanist and Peter Pan in my mind Bruno Munari. The magician of visual amusements- Paul Rand.

8. Besides design, what other hobbies do you have?

See things differently and Boking.